An opportunity is available for a self-starting Organiser based in Brisbane, working with one of Australia’s most effective, respected and influential trade unions, the Maritime Union of Australia.
Working across the regional ports of Central Queensland, the role has responsibility for developing and sustaining the structures of the union, as well as building and sustaining membership in the workplaces.
Reporting to the Queensland Branch Secretary and working closely with the National Lead Organiser and National Campaigns & Projects Coordinator, the role is interesting and varied with responsibilities including, but not limited to :
- Developing organising plans
- Identifying and developing union and delegate structures in the workplace
- Encouraging, maintaining and developing union activities to activate members
- Participating in developing and coordinating union campaigns
- Maximizing membership financiality
- Identifying areas of growth to maximize membership density
- Positively contributing to relationships across the union movement within the region
Your experience will demonstrate a proactive and organised approach to your responsibilities, with a sound work ethic and an ability to prioritise and plan in a busy environment.
To be considered for this role, it is essential that you will have :
- Organiser skills certification or proven organising / active union experience
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong listening and investigative skills
- A proactive and organised approach demonstrating a sound work ethic and ability to prioritise and plan
- Ability to build rapport with the current membership
It is essential that you are able to travel frequently, hold a current driver’s license, together with a Maritime Security Identification Card (MSIC)(or be able to successfully apply for a MSIC) and qualify for right of entry at worksites.
In addition, it is preferable that you possess, or be willing to undertake appropriate training to develop the relevant skills to fulfill the requirements of the role :
- Well-developed analytical & research skills
- High level of computer literacy :
- Advanced level MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel & Outlook);
- Intermediate level database;
A competitive remuneration package, including car, will be offered to the successful candidate commensurate with experience.
Applications should be forwarded to :
email@example.com and include a cover letter responding to the above criteria and attach a current resume.
Closing date for applications : 4 p.m. Friday 28 August 2015